Planning my wedding was one of the most difficult experiences I have ever been through. For those of you who have yet to go through this life changing experience, let me tell you, it is incredibly overwhelming! I mean where do you start? Food, silverware, plates, music, napkins, venue, vows, tents, lights, the list goes on and on. I took solace in knowing that there were people around me who were taking care of a lot of those little details for me, but there was one thing that I would do myself... my own hair! I am a hairstylist after all. And in my case, I knew that I would be the only person to do it the way I like it. I am a firm believer that if there's a professional for it, then let them do it. So I did! I did, however, take it one step farther and I also styled my mom and my sister's (maid of honor) hair. Hair is my therapy and I honestly believe that being able to do some hair on the big day, kept me calm, cool, and collected. So here are a few suggestions that you may or may not have thought of when it comes to your hair and wedding planning.
Photo: Me doing my moms hair for my wedding
1. If you haven't already, set up a Pinterest account with a "Wedding Board." It's the best way to gather your thoughts, collect pictures, and give you an idea of what you like and what you want.
Photo: Speaking of which, follow us on Pinterest!
2. Always consider your face shape!
3. Always have a hair and makeup trial to make sure your hairstyle is the look you a going for.
4. Consider scheduling a trial right before a dress fitting, that way, you can see the whole vision of your hair with your dress!
Photo: The lovely Katie (and Josh). Houchin Photography
5. Be open to your stylist's advice! Remember, they're professionals.
6. Wear a button-down shirt or a robe when getting ready so you don't ruin your gorgeous hair and makeup!
7. Consider having the bride get ready first, that way she can have a last minute touch-up and finishing spritz of hairspray just before walking down the aisle!
Photo: Getting Mrs. Nadler all ready for her stellar wedding! Ali Vagnini Photography
8. If you wear your hair down on a regular basis and that is what makes you feel the prettiest, then wear your hair down! You do not have to go with an up-do to look beautiful and elegant.
9. People change their dresses from the ceremony to the reception, why not do it with your hair? Have an Elegant up-do for the ceremony and sexy tousled curls for the reception!
10. Veil? Bring it to your trial!
11. No veil, no problem! There are so many alternatives to wearing a veil, like a sparkly headband, tiara, braid crown. If you do have any alternative head attire, bring it to the trial!
12. You do not have to have dirty hair on your wedding day. Yes, some stylists prefer it, but for my ladies who have scalps that are more on the oily spectrum, go ahead and wash!
Bonus!!! Do you! Nothing is more frustrating for a stylist than when someone else is telling the bride what to do with her hair. Do what you want! You are a grown a$$ woman who is getting married, you are entitled to make your own decisions on YOUR day!